Between 2010 (the year the screening programme started) and August 2018, 80,250 children were screened in the Highlands and various provinces; 1,719 were found to have congenital heart defects.
During the first half of 2019, 32,325 children were examined; 143 were found to have congenital heart defects. These 143 children were gradually brought to the Da Nang Heart Centre for treatment, depending on the urgency. Most of the patients could be treated with the aid of interventional techniques.
Progress report September 2006 – September 2017
With the support of our kind and generous donors, the “Heart for Heart – Foundation for Life!” has installed two cardiac catheterisation labs, an intensive care unit with five beds, ultrasound machines and blood gas analysers at the General Hospital in Da Nang since November 2006. Without the help and support with self-help provided locally by doctors Prof. Heinrich Netz (Großhadern Hospital) and Prof. Trong-Phi Lê (Clinic for Structural and Congenital Heart Defects/Paediatric Cardiology of the Klinikum Links der Weser Bremen), it would never have been possible to offer a new lease of life to these disadvantaged younger and older cardiac patients in Da Nang and other provinces. A total of 4000 treatments and interventions have so far been completed, most of which have been managed independently by the young Vietnamese doctors at the General Hospital.
From 2010 until today, approx. 63,000 poor children across eight provinces/the Highlands have been examined with the aid of portable ultrasound machines, and over 1000 children found to have congenital heart defects have been treated at Da Nang General Hospital. The progress report of the General Hospital for November 2006 to December 2017 can be found here.
On 30 March 2013, the Children’s Heart Unit was expanded to include a further cardiac catheterisation lab supplied by Philips Healthcare. Representatives from the Hospital, the Foundation, Philips Healthcare, and delegates from the Vietnamese government, along with former Minister Dr Wolfgang Heubish, accompanied by a delegation of Bavarian University presidents, were in attendance.